ballade pour adeline

Thursday, July 06, 2006

bus rides

*you're my sunshine after the rain* :)

was late for class AGAIN for the 3rd time this week :( throughout the whole journey i just kept chanting a prayer, fingers interlocked, as if I was possessed. "Lord Jesus, pls let me arrive in class on time". at least a hundred times. managed to get to class just after he completed his introductory slide--again.

encountered a mean bus uncle on my way home who refused to open the door just because he was a couple of metres before the bus-stop. A blessing maybe. because i decided not to board it and wait for the next bus which opens up my options to 3 buses (as opposed to 1) nearer to my house :)

encountered a strange bus uncle today who was singing some chinese opera while driving. I thought it was cute because no uncle sang like that. but when he started to make that noise as if to spew out phlegm, THAT was gross.

i met this lady who boards the same bus as me at bt timah, twice. I am pretty sure I've seen her before. God knows where or when but i have a hunch that she's my primary one teacher. Just a gut feeling. Because my p1 teacher is arguably one of the nicest tcher i've ever had. but 13 years of not meeting her...i cld be wrong. It's just strange how one can feel such a great affinity to someone you've probably never met before. So much for telepathy or simply human instinct. I am really curious. coincidentally bt timah. I really don't know. I had an urge to sit behind her and exclaim "She2 lao3 shi1?" and see her reaction, if any at all. I need to do this while having a friend sit beside me though. then i'll feign a conversation with my acquintance in a bid to test her. Hee.

monday. i met a really really cute baby boy at the bus-stop near my house. he and his grandparents got on the same bus as me. (told you i meet interesting pple at the bus-stop/on that particular bus) Anyway, the baby had an angelic face; he will grow up into a handsome boy (: and he's temper was a bonus too. at the bus-stop, his grandpa was carrying him the whole time and because the granddad was standing with his back towards me, the baby boy under 2yo was facing me. He kept looking at me (like all babies do) with those puppy eyes so i smiled at him and he smiled back at me (how cute). I was busy smsing, then i saw him staring at my hand phone, so i dangled my hello kitty handphone accessory [to hypnotise him] and he curiously continued watching that thing swing back and forth. I FELL IN LOVE WITH HIM.

In he bus before he alighted with his granddad at bt timah, i think he was tired and distracted and for a while made funny baby noises because he has yet to learn how to speak. then when the grandma was scouring for sth in her bag, the baby stretched out his palm, attempting to reach out for the handle of ah ma's bag. he held onto it tried to lift the handles but was too weak to even tug at it. aww........My heart melted just watching the innocent baby. A mental note: If only my baby was as cute and well-behaved as that kid, then i wldn't fear babies. Also, I realised that actually i do like babies. you know how i always describe rowdy kids like one of the major pollutants in the world...Sometimes it's not true because it doesn't always apply. I love kids, specifically those quiet but not autistic ones. those who obey and worship their parents. i guess those are the kinds parents adore and dote on. If i cld be a grandparent and carry my grandkid like that...without having kids. HAHA. i'm ridiculous.

watching the granfather carry the boy, I recalled the time when my grandfather brought me to sch and back. Those were childhood memories. I wld return to my grandparents house after school to watch sesame street and play with my cousins and teach my grandma say "monday, tuesday, wednesday...". then somehow, fate played a trick on us. when i was 9, my granddad had alzheimer, dementia. during that period of time, i really didn't know what was going on. All i remembered was that all of a sudden, he seemed to be forgetting everything. And after a while, he cldn't even speak coherently- i was afraid of him. I avoided him because i was afraid. he wasn't the grandpa who i used to know. he wore diapers and i didn't what he was talking abt. He became ADL-dependent on my grandma. it was heart-wrenching--not that i cld understand anything at a tender age of 9. And everytime there was case study in physio tutorials abt Alzheimer's, i wld think of him, abt how if i knew more and knew earlier abt this disease, the basal ganglia, putamen, striatum, beta amyloid and whatever shit, maybe i cld understand him more. Such case studies always got the better of me. The ones suffering most with patients like my ah gong were the family members. i cld understand that more than anyone. my parents, my relatives, and esp my grandma. The thing abt dementia is that it's like a downward spiral. pple lose their memories and abilities to perform in ADLs, so much so that they don't know what they are doing and once they fall (gp had many) it's very debilitating because they fracture this and that and because their bodies weaken and become plagued with other infections due to the lack of care and overall deterioration of the body. anyway eventually he left when i was 11. end of story. the reason why i am afraid of hand puppets is related to this incident too.

you never knew that i was afraid of hand puppets did you? there's a story to it. i rem that day was my 1st time [and last time] playing with hand puppets on my last day of my exam and i had just returned home from sch to receive the bad news. i am not afraid of it, it's just that everytime i look at hand puppets, i am reminded of that phone call and the devasting news.

there you go.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home