ballade pour adeline

Tuesday, June 21, 2005

Hi world. Working in the spinal unit is...nice=) well at least u get 2 apply a little stuff u learned in physio. hehe. hmm. Got a brain block now. Well, time kinda flies when you have stuff to do. Stretches, muscle strength tests, blah blah blah. =P

Saw like 4 patients yesterday and since it's the spinal ward, all were on wheelchairs with either incomplete or complete lesions of some parts of the spinal nerves. Yesterday, I met this 14 yo boy who was involved in a diving accident and got a surgery on his lower back. Unfortunately, the op went wrong and he's like kinda quadraplegic now. It's really sad but yah...he's only 14. And another guy who's 19 as well is really friendly and crappy. Full of jokes and stuff and he is always playing this music from his 'jack CD' and now the song's stuck in my head. Because these pple live in the hospital so they come in everyday. Hmm apparently he had a car accident and he was in the passenger seat and his car rolled over. That's scary and yup, he was at the rehab. Yest was hilarious because you know how they have the standing machine I don't know what you call it but anyway, this moveable seat with places to tuck your knees in and so the thing push your butt and makes you stand up. Yup, so he was qte tall when he stands and the physio I was wking with made me try that machine so it really scared me to death because I am much shorter and lighter compared to him so I was like thrown over and TRAPPED b/w the seat and the standing bar. And the guy was laughing like mad lah and he had to help me pull the seat down so I cld get out. LOL.

Oh and the 1st pt I saw had a erm...c6/7 incomplete lesion kind of thingy and he had schizophrenia. That's the 1st time I have seen someone with schizo. He looked really scared and reserved and a little dodgy so there isn't much to say.

Hmm. Getting there is indeed overwhelming. Need to wake up at 545 when it is soooo dark you seriously can't see anything more than 200+ meters and catch a tram and get down to uni to take a bus which takes 1/2hr to get to the hospital and it comes like almost every 15 min so I really need to get the 710+am bus otherwise I will be late. And upon arrival, I need to walk for abt 20 min along this really u-loo road to the hospital and the sky was really dark yesterday coz it just rained. hehe. Tedious eh. But the weather is not too bad I guess. Cooling. Not humid. yupyup. Anyway, 90% of the time I was in the hospital, I was 'mute' like I didn't know what to say to them coz 9 of us, 8 of them were locals. haha. yup. Oh well, qte used to it actually. So no big. I don't really like to talk anyway=X

Afternoons are pretty slack with the physios heading off for meetings and stuff and I got to be in a small conference yest. hehe. They were discussing this patient who had problems living with his brother coz his hse is inaccessible to his wheelchair. So he was really sad abt losing his independence which comes with most pts. So in the meeting, there were 7 pple I think. A registrar, a consultant, a nurse, a social worker, a physio, an occupational therapist and sth else. I forgot. Qte interesting. =P eh.........what else.....................hmmmmmm. Oh I'll be in the neuro/ortho dept tmr so I hope it will be nice. =X I didn't get to do the hydro pool and not everyone gets it coz like they already planned out our timetables for the week. That's ok. Not very keen on swimming in a pool where pts probably bathe in them=X...

hehe. Oh today. our physios had to rush off to a meeting so the afternoon was slack and they made us watch videos abt wheelchair transfers and stuff and like the tapes were super screwed. The vcr was crappy and the film was blurred. haha. We tried to watch tv instead and it was equally screwed. lol. oh then when the vcr was so screwed, I just started talking to this other guy who was in the spinal unit as me too. So it's only us 2 students. Wow, I didn't know he was half thai. Like his mum is thai and his dad is an aussie. I cld never figure out where he was from coz I thought he was a malay or sth coz he had dark skin but he didn't look malay or indian and he has the aussie accent coz he was born here. hehe. Okie, weirdest worlds. Why do pple migrate? *think...think*

ehhhh...oh continuation from today. I ALMOST missed the bus today. =' Yup, ran like (the wind) mad lah and when I got on the bus, my throat was itching away. you see, you can't run here in the open air coz it's cold. Ok, at least for me, I can't run here. This is the 2nd time my throat is killing me. It sux. Anyway, it was because my missed my tram stop. Bleh, yadda-ing away to my mum and it was super duper dark and before I knew it, I missed my stop. Had to run like 1 tram stop, which I realised in the afternoon on my way bk, that is was qte far. BLAH BLAH BLAH. It was freaky coz I will be soooooooooooo late if I missed my bus. Bleh. But when I ran it was pretty dark so I didn't know how much or where is ran-on the grass but the tree branches on stuff on the ground were scary and I was running in boots!...Haha I am so crazy.

Tonight. Had dinner with 3 other physio pple today. Had wanted to eat jap and guess what! they were heading for jap. Haha. How convenient. it was good. At paramount. Sth like a teppanyaki and they gave you a hot plate on ure meal and there were so many sauces and there's rice and a couple of raw salmon. Blah. Good.=P Oh and we were gossipping away lah which I felt qte bad=X coz bleh I dunno lah. Coz I THOUGHT everyone was very close to these pple and they ended up talking abt pple here and there. Oh well. I really hate politics. Like you feel like pple are talking abt you behind ure backs too. bleh. Oh and met an old friend in paramount. haha.

I am exhausted. Foot hurts. Oh and that 19 yo is so strong; when I tried to resist him he was squashing my hand now my hands and arms hurt. Blah. Haha, the other colleague, the student in the spinal unit too, was hilarious. Since we were free in the afternoon and there were so many beds in the unit like all physio units and he was actually doing push-ups and 4 pt kneeing on the beds. Haha...hmm. that's what you get when you have beds ard you. Nevertheless, I am going to have a new 'partner' tmr or at least someone else wking in the same unit as me. Bleh. Crap. Crap. My eye is twitching now. I so tired. hehe. Shld go. Laterz...nights

Oh he finally replied. hehe since my birthday. haha and after nearly 4 months, the excitement and thrill is slowly ebbing away in that I didn't feel that high when he replied. Happy, but somehow the feeling has eased away, compared to the first few times. Anyhow, it's good. Always welcoming his emails=)...I haven't forgotten abt him though. I look like a lunatic everytime I smirk when I think of the times when I went bk for hols =P eewwwww

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home