ballade pour adeline

Saturday, July 22, 2006

Making up for a lost childhood

Today i went cycling! (: I had always wanted to have a bicycle since a gazillion years ago and I never had one till now (and it's not even mine). I know I am a late boomer. What to do.

my sister's bicycle is so gu niang. it has a basket in front and the wheels are kinda small. but nobody's complaining. Poised with my lil' pink cap, i happily set out on my little expedition in the evening. The initial rides were daunting as the tiny wheels seemed to have an affinity for parked cars and 2m-deep ditches. As i wobbled unsteadily on my little bicycle, I contemplated going to the park. With this kind of riding manner (i swear it was the bicycle not living up to it's mark! =P), i encircled the temple a couple of times before deciding, maybe i'm not ready to venture to the park yet. When i felt a little braver, I tried to pedal uphill. boy was it strenuous and tiresome, especially with such mini wheels. BUT all these hardwork paid off as the ride downhill was really thrilling and exhilarating. THAT WAS IT. i felt ready to cycle ard pple. haha. So after half an hour of swerves and sudden screeches to halts I was a little more accustomed to the bicycle. Prayers repeated a couple of times, I decided to hit the main road.

Stealthily, i picked up my tonne heavy bicycle and proceeded to ROLL it across the road. I cldn't possibly pedal across for fear that i might cause a major pile up, especially during the peak hours. Still excited and anxious to go for the high ride, i clasped the hand-bars and hand breaks so tightly for my dear life that they ached. But bo bian, I was terrified. Well, a little. There were pple on their bikes in the park too. Apart from the many ah peks pedalling their shabby vehicles with ease, i came across only 2 other professional cyclists. Coming to think of it, it seemed like I was the only girl with her gu niang bicycle. I never realised that. Anyway, I didn't fear so much abt scarring my limbs and stuff, but more of

1) scratching MY SISTER'S bicycle esp when it LOVES curbs and long gaus
2) embarrassing myself by crashing into a tree or a lamppost, or worse, joggers

Thankfully, none of these happened. However, i have to say that each time i was SOOOOO close to maneuvring the bicycle in the way i wanted it, i always ended up navigating myself (unintentionally) into the 2m-deep trench. Then my wld adenaline hiked together with arrhythmias. I can't imagine ending up in the dam. Seriously. I can now say that I've FINALLY reached the other end of the park! Hohoho!!! Something that i've never achieved by foot because I was always on the verge of dying after simply covering half the park by jogging (I hate running btw). Not only did I reach the end, I even encircled the park TWICE!!! WahHhAhAR. haha. Pple must be thinking...this goon is retarded. Oh well :P

Fun part aside, some moron actually honked at me. I guess I deserved it. I was riding on the wrong side of the road. Ha Ha. -_-" I didn't realise, lah. This car was driving head on like 200m away? Furthermore, it was some idiot living in my vicinity. Nvm that.

After an hr and 15, I was practically tired with all the lactic acid building up in my quads and pecs, from the hanging-on-to-dear-life-thing and I had to leave some spare energy for the ride back. So i had to call it quits as i precariously lifted up the bicycle like a muscle-woman--to the opposite side of the park and proceeded to pedal home.

My groin still hurts. I'll be walking like a frog tmr (if they ever walk). It's only the beginning. I bet my limbs will drop off tmr like that of an attacked starfish.

Actually, I'd prefer exercising to stalking malls in town because
1) my income is stagnant.
2) the more I buy, the more my mum nags. I realised it's a directly proportional relationship.
3) I seriously need to lose the pound and the flabS.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home