ballade pour adeline

Thursday, August 18, 2005

Another history lesson-straight from the textbook

It's been a long and trying day-but not solely mundane. It's been eventful with a [large] tinge of comedy. Read on if you have the patience=) Here goes...

Went to sch this morning and had to walk through an aisle as usual, where everyone who had prac was waiting outside for the prac rms to open. I strided across the aisle and an "OUCH!" pierced through the air and screeched into my ears. I looked over my shoulder and this girl was sitting on the floor with so many others. Stark realisation that I had stepped on her foot. Track shoes vs throngs. Not a very nice combi. Anyway I was so apologetic abt the whole thing that I felt qte bad. =X Then I met her again later in the day and I was still apologising. Then she said that it in fact wasn't that painful, just that she had screamed so horribly. Oh well.

Then at tut. Another boring tut as usual. With a tutor who probably had zero knowledge abt his anatomy. This peer wanted to shift seats so that she cld jolt down the notes as a paper scribe. And being an ass with colossal ego again, the tutor commented that "you prefer my left side?" I think everyone including me was abt to throw up. And throughout the pbl he was kept questioning our ideas--without contributing any...as usual...nvm.

Prac was even more hilarious today. It struck me that my prac tutor has a witty sense of humour...or maybe eccentric? Today we were touching on the hip so we were reminded to wear nice undies-no g-strings and stuff. And when it came to the time when we were ready for lesson, he 1st asked if anyone was wearing g-strings. Then he said those who were had to go a corner and practise with another person who was wearing g-strings too because it wld be unfair if someone felt embarrassed abt being palpated just because she wasn't wearing the right undies. And he had to call it 'G-string corner'. LOL.

And when it was time to split up into pairs to practise during this super invasive prac session, I asked him if I was palpating piriformis correctly by demonstrating the way I wld do it. Then he said 'No.'--with a straight face. Followed by a couple of seconds of dead silence. The way he said it was really intimidating. He's always expressionless. So I stood there, hoping that he wld show me again. He did. But not after just standing there and saying 'no'. -Silence- Then after abt 5s of you-stare-at-me-i-stare-at-you-time, he showed me. Weird stuff.

Then immediately after that, he came up to me and called my name. For a moment I freaked out. Because of his emotionless face again, I thought the next few words that wld come out of his mouth wld be sth like "Did you attend L's session?" or "Why didn't you turn up for L's session?......" Apparently I was wrong. He's just qte hard to decipher as a person I guess. Just another of those deep sophiscated pple who never leak out what they are thinking. It's terrifying. Anyway...the next few words turned out to be:

him: "Did you say that you were from singapore?..."
me: "yes"--(actually I never said it...haha I don't know how he knew anyway)
Then he said: "Was it National Day last tuesday?"
me: "yes"-(-shocked)
him: "I know because there's a student from singapore in my tutorial and she said it was national day and she didn't attend on tues..."
haha...Then what he asked me turned out to be even weirder...

him: "Who's the prime minister of singapore?" (hahahahhaR...I was trying to suppress my laughter)
me: "It used to be GCT, but now it's LSL...He's the son of the senior minister"--(I didn't know what crap I was talking abt anyway...haha)
him: "Who's the president of singapore?"
me: "SR nay-than... "
him: "Who?"
me: "SR naa-than" (haha...I didn't know the right way to pronounce it...)
him: "is he tamilian?" (is there such a word?=P)
me: "er...yah..." [not very convinced...haha] (hey indian doesn't mean tamilian right?...)
him: "oh...Is there re-election or sth?"
me: "yes...he's still the president..." (hehee...)
him: "Coz I read in the newspapers abt it..."
me: "oh ok..."

Hahaa.....woaw it's been ages since anyone asked me abt the government system of singapore. haha. But I guess I am proud of my country!=)

We were onto an extremely invasive session today as mentioned: Palpate the 'pubic symphysis'. In case you were wondering...it's the bone immediately under the private part. haha. Yes. Palpate that. It was really awkward lah, despite palpating over the towel...And we had to palpate the border of that bone too. My partner and I decided not to do it, after much giggles and contemplation. It was purely a case of molestation. It was bad enough that a male teacher demonstrated on a student already!...=P but it was all in the name of PHYSIO. hehe=) Oh and he was palpating the gluts too (the butt muscles)--actually, we did those stuff last year already so it wasn't anything new to have pple literally jabbing your ass and erm...palpating your private part. Hmm...I think I've gotten fairly open-minded as a result of the course. hehe...=)

Oh and when it came down to stripping, my partner and I happened to have the same undie. Haha. Okay...not that you were interested or sth...=P But then my partner was like "sisterhood...sisterhood..." haha.

During the initial subjective assessments, where we had a pseudo scenario for us to ask a patient questions on his pathology, when it came to my turn, I asked if he (the tutor/patient) had any sudden weight loss--(to indicate presence of cancer) then he was like "No...I wished I had." Like what the?!...haha

Oh then when he was demonstrating an objective assessment, he said "because women have breasts, it may be better to put a towel between the knee and your chests (when you are using your body mechanics) because some physios may feel uncomfortable. And the towel works for the biomechanics too..." then when he said "women have breasts...blah blah blah, but not me...I WISHED I HAD..." haha. I don't know lah, he was being very lame today. But he's a decent bloke...so not like pple freaked out or what...it's more of a casual joke thingy-and oh yes, with a expressionless face-so it was even funnier. Oh and when he said "I don't have breasts, everyone was laughing at this indian guy who has this ultra-toned body (it was as if he takes steriods). but anyway, they were kind of implying he has breasts. Haha. It was really funny.

On my way home...had a walking buddy. met a prac mate on the way as she wld walk to school too. Then as we conversed, I was just asking her if she had ever been to sg and I asked her if she'd ever been to sentosa. Then she wanted to say that she went on the.....(she was thinking very hard) ..me: "merlion?" hmm...*thinks* "Cable Car." "Yes!"oh and she commented that she was very surprised how clean sg was. Hehe. =P Geez I never thought anyone wld be interested in a cable car. I thought they had it everywhere!!!...=P

Oh I was looking at the boards with displays and posters which were out for the open day. The list of places to go to for the 3rd/4th yr 4 wks clinical placement...there were so many destinations to choose from...but I think I've roughly got 6 (out of the many) on my mind. Either one...

1) vanuatu
2) england
3) new zealand
4) singapore
5) fiji island
6) canada

then there was
HK, msia, thailand, is that cambodia?-can't remember..., austria and many many more. =P
but then who knows...(IF I ever get promoted to 3rd yr)...I may just end up in sg doing my placements. bleh.

I know it's a really long entry...haha but oh well=P Hmm...I really shldn't have given the ocf person my email add. Why does she have to send 3 emails at 1 go!...Can't she just compress all her crap into 1 email! Or don't even email me. AHHH...Expecting emails from the wrong person...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home